Thursday, March 14, 2013

Free Market at its Finest

by Claire Pendergrass

One thing I have noticed here in Chile is the overwhelming availability of things to buy. Everywhere I go, there are people selling drinks, snacks, little trinkets, or even Band-Aids, interestingly enough. Some people set up booths and kiosks all along the streets while others jump on and off buses selling things like ice cream. This is really fascinating to me because it is so different than back home. In the United States, people get in trouble all the time for soliciting on the street, so we are not used to seeing these kinds of things on a daily basis. Though I know people do it in the long run to make money, I like to think that part of their motivation comes from the Chilean concern for the common good of everyone. People are very willing to share everything and make sure that everyone has what he or she needs. That is one of my favorite things about this culture. When I go home, I’m going to miss having the opportunity to buy freshly baked sweets on the bus or ice cream anywhere on the beach. I’ll probably save a lot more money, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment