Wednesday, April 24, 2013

5000 Miles Travelled, 24 Friends Cherished

by Chris Netterville

After arriving home on Friday, my initial reaction was of course to hug to death my parents, my siblings, and all my dearest friends I had so greatly missed. I was exhausted from the trip but also ecstatic to be back in Nashville with those friendly faces. When asked how my trip was or how my group was, initially I would react interestingly enough, saying, "Well, it had its ups and downs," thinking to myself of all the little nit-picky details that I had come to fight over with members of the group, even as late as just before arriving home.

Now, looking back on what is already almost a week of being back home, I cannot express how excited I was this week to see my friends that I had made in Chile. Over a weekend of not being with the twenty-four people I had lived with and considered all my younger and older siblings for three entire months, I was able not only to see past the silliness of the small feuds I had with them, but also to recognize the value and weight that their friendships held in my life. This large group of individuals that I knew not a single one of before has become one of the closest-knit groups that I have had in my life, and each of them hold a place in my heart as friends who grew closer together along our South American travels.

Looking back, I cannot express how much of a blessing each one of them have been in my life, whether in helping me keep my sanity on the trip and/or showing me ways to overcome my own hurdles in my life, these guys have been the support group that I needed during Chile and that I will come to miss over this summer and for years to come.

That is why, effective immediately, they all have to pinky swear that we will hang out again, have reunions, and still be friends.

Only joking, but seriously, they have been amazing, and I will cherish the memories made with them for years and years to come.

A quick note to any readers considering studying abroad and following this blog to better understand the adventures that come along with such a trip: know that I fully and highly recommend any study abroad experience, not only for the amazing places you will see, the amazing people you will meet, and the amazing challenges that you will overcome, but also for the amazing group of friends you will bring back home with you and cherish for the rest of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment