Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Grandest Piano of Them All

by Will Hedges


I have to capitalize on using the Valparaíso piano steps before everyone else does...

I think my favorite part of these steps is the fact that Neely, Dorris, and I found it completely on accident. We followed a tsunami evacuation route in hopes of quickly climbing one of Valparaíso's big hills, and we ended up coming up over a lookout, where I looked down and found the steps that we had intended to look for intentionally, later.

I would love to tell you all where they are, but nowhere on the internet would tell us, either. We've decided that part of the fun is trying to find it. A few others who came with us just came across them, too. It's part of the magic. If you're ever in Valparaíso, happy hunting. :)

Not only am I stunned by the creativity of the artist that painted these (the keys line up perfectly from a straight-on view), I'm amazed at how quaint it is. It's tucked away on a tiny side street, across from a hostel or something. There's no name on it, no message, just art for the sake of people to come across it and revel in its cleverness. And I love that.

Also, Dorris never misses an opportunity to make something goofy. Get down from there, Dorris. You can't even play piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment