Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sardines for Breakfast

by Lauren Wilcher  

Every morning in Santiago, I wake up to the sound of birds chirping, sunshine, and the wonderful chance to participate in the lovely breakfast routine of becoming a sardine. I am not even joking around when I explain the people of Santiago and their abilities to compact themselves into the metro each and every morning. I think this was the biggest culture shock for me because I am not a morning person in general, and to throw me into a moving can packed with tight-knit sardines is not my morning cup of tea. As a US American, I am very blessed to get to wake up in the morning, get into my own car with my own music and drive in peace until the morning and day can settle into my brain. That is not the case in Santiago. I have learned and observed from the people here that the only way to get by, if you are not a morning person, is to simply get onto the metro as quickly as possible with a push and a shove—oh, and do not forget your head phones for the ride because it is the only way to get past the morning blues. I guess you could say that they have it under control here. Everyone on the metro understands that, yes, there is more room if you just push and shove a little harder. Maybe that's the way to get over morning blues: getting a little closer with your community by becoming a sardine for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment