Thursday, April 4, 2013

Día 45 - 27 Feb 2013 - Can’t I Just Buy Some Headphones? (or, Recharging My Phone AND Buying Tweezers, or, Why Lipscomb is Going to Take Away My Chemistry Degree, or, So Much Weird Stuff Happened Today That I Don’t Know What to Call This Post)

by Will Hedges

I ended up derping around until 3 AM AGAIN last night. YAY ME.

I was delirious with sleepiness this morning all through CCE and chapel. It started off with drinking a Kem Extreme (like Vault in the States), then it was compounded by a cappuccino vainilla from the school snack shop. I started thinking I was having heart palpitations, and Neely dropping her desk table made me jump straight out of my seat.

Then, and I don’t remember this, Dorris was going to speak some in chapel, and the way Neely tells it, I sounded like I was in complete awe of him speaking, a la “Is Dorris gonna speak to us?” and proceeded to have a sloppy awestruck grin at this new finding. I don’t really remember this morning at all.

After we got all of our journals checked and everyone got out of Global Justice, we walked to the mall again for stuff for our big Patagonia trip on Friday. This started off with a trip to Yogenfrüz for Dorris, of course.

image
I didn’t need much here, but I did want to get headphones. So let me tell you how that went.

So, they had some Skullcandy earbuds like the ones I had that broke when we were in Viña, but they were in this locked cage looking thing. So I asked the guy if he could get some out for me, and he said his boss had the key and would be back in like a half hour. 

So that was fine. I just wandered around the mall for a little bit looking for Dorris and Rachel and didn’t realize that the second floor of the mall is actually the first floor? Well then.

Anyway, I came back to get the boss to open the box, and he told me to pick out some from a different rack, because he didn't want to get the keys. Really?

Whatever, I found some others that will suffice. Thanks for nothing.

So now that I had picked out a pair that I didn't really want, there was only one person working the cash register who kept leaving to register someone for a Falabella credit card or something. This proceeded to take about 30 minutes, until finally the other girl there realized that I’d been there for almost an hour just trying to buy one thing. Muchas gracias, dama amable.

Side note: It's interesting that "the customer is always right" mantra is NOT a thing here. Not that that's a huge deal, but for example, if you walk up to a counter, they are not going to engage you until you essentially get in their face. It takes some getting used to, especially compared the US where service industry is extremely customer-focused. Anyhoo.
image
[THIS IS THE MOST STRESSFUL SHOPPING EXPERIENCE.]

We wanted to get some snack foods like Chewy bars, etc. for Patagonia since we’re going to be far and few between towns, meals in the parks we’re going to visit are going to be grossly expensive, etc. and so we did that.

However, while we were there, this very nice lady came up to us while we were contemplating trail mix and asked if we were from the States, and was not surprised to find that we were. She asked if the walnuts she was holding were pecans and was disappointed to learn that they in fact were not. Her name was Marcela and she used to live in Texas! She asked us about our trip and studies, etc. and invited us over to her house so that she and her daughter can practice English with us, since they've only been here in Chile again for the past few years. How exciting! Get this: she’s from Easter Island! That made our night.

We ended up walking back so that I could find somewhere to recharge my phone. If your prepaid phone runs out of money, it texts whoever you’re trying to call that you are trying to call them, so that they can call you, because incoming calls are free. Clever, but annoying for sure.

I found this little kind of junk shop where there was just an old Asian man working with a sign that said I could recharge it there. So I did. Then I realized that he had tweezers in his shop. And I needed tweezers. So I bought tweezers. Random, but hey, when the opportunity arises…

Once we got back, I got to Skype Hannah for a bit, but a lot of us had been thinking about trying the Jazz Café that’s right outside our metro stop. So why not now?
The three of us went and I got their promo of a cortado and torta de mil hojas (thousand-layer cake). However, my cake did NOT have a thousand layers and I was VERY unhappy. Not really—it wasn't my favorite, but it was solid.
image
image
I just love cafes, y’all. SO MUCH.

Well, after we stayed until the cafe closed, Rachel needed to get some baking soda to put in the shoes that she washed that were starting to smell pretty raunchy. We went to Ekono and couldn't find any, so Rachel and I asked an attendant if they had it and we tried to describe it, first like sugar, and then like sand. She was thinking we meant artificial sweetener, then salt, and then flour… it was getting hard. We tried telling her that you use a little bit in baking… still nothing. She finally said “Ah, ¡polvo!” (literally, powder) and we were really excited to figure it out! So we bought a little packet and left feeling pretty awesome about our success.

I had also bought some green tea that had writing almost exclusively in Chinese on it and proceeded to nurse my poor throat that is feeling more and more raw these days while Rachel began to treat her shoes. She said it didn't really smell like baking soda, nor did it really feel like it either.

That was when we realized that the label said “Polvo para Hornear.”

Literally, Powder for Baking. How the heck did we not realize that it said baking powder right there on the freaking label? Then, we learned that baking soda is called “bicarbonato” here (bicarbonate, from sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3). 

I even KNEW that that was the formula for baking soda.

Lipscomb is NOT going to let me have a chemistry degree with their name on it.
image
[I can’t facepalm hard enough right now. Best part: Rachel snapped this during real, unposed facepalming. I’m so disappointed in myself.]

After rethinking my whole life/career plan, I finally got to meet Neely's boyfriend on Skype! We’re basically already best buds anyway.

I also found out that Rachel is in barbershop singing which is probably the most interesting niche hobby I've ever heard of and now I’m legitimately fascinated by it. The Barbershop Harmony Society moved in next to my high school, and I thought it was the weirdest, most random thing ever. Yeah, Rachel interned there. I know this part is random—but really, like how many people do you know that do barbershop singing?

I thank you greatly if you’re still with this post at this point. I recognize that this one has been a tough one to follow.

Until next time, ¡chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment