Thursday, April 4, 2013

Conversations in Foreign Places

by Emily Riddle

This past Saturday, a few of us took a day trip to the port city of Valparaíso! It was probably one of my favorite trips just for the conversations that I had. The first one was with this man named Angelo who owned this cute little snack shop on the beach. We talked about the usual questions (why are you here, how long are you here for, where are you from), but then it turned into a conversation about different religions. The other conversation I just happened upon: Bethany was talking to this vendor about whether hell was real, and I joined in (along with Marissa). We talked for probably 45 minutes and thanked him and walked off. A minute later he ran up to us with these bracelets and we asked for a picture. As he put his arms around us he said "mis hermanas en Cristo" or "my sisters in Christ." It was incredible to have conversations about religion like this, just out in the open, with people I just met. It was also incredible because it was the day before Easter, which is the most suspenseful day in history... waiting to know if Christ would rise! It made me think that you can't be afraid to have conversations and voice your opinion, no matter what language, location, or religion.

[the bracelets he gave us] 

[Marissa, Bethany, Juan, and I: hermanas y hermanos en Jesucristo]

No comments:

Post a Comment