Saturday, April 20, 2013

Our Special Today Is Guinea Pig

by Spencer Warren

To finish off our travel abroad experience, our group had the pleasure of visiting several sites in Perú. We also got to indulge in many different Peruvian dishes over the course of the trip. I was able to observe the wonders and strangeness of the Peruvian diet. All of the food was amazing and by far the best food I had on the trip, but some of the meat was very foreign to my regular diet.

One of the most famous and strangest dishes that I was able to observe was baked guinea pig. Guinea pig is popular meat choice that has been around a long time in Perú. The Incans even dedicated a rock to this animal in Machu Picchu. The guinea pig would come out of the oven and be served on a stick with all of its body parts intact. I never had the chance to try guinea pig, but the natives compared the taste to that of chicken. Because I have had a guinea pig as a pet, it was very strange to see how popular this animal was to eat. I do not know if I will ever be able to partake in eating a guinea pig, but it was fascinating to see how much emphasis this culture puts on breeding guinea pigs and making them a part of their diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment