Monday, February 25, 2013

An Unexpected Encounter

by Hilary Lamb

For our Principles of Management class we were required to do a Spiritual Journey Project, where we spent five hours actively seeking God through service, reflection, meditation, etc. It was a very open ended assignment and could be approached pretty much however we chose. For my project, I decided to take 5 hours of personal time with God and reflect while at the top of Cerro San Cristóbal, the highest point in Santiago.

While I was up there, I was journaling about giving my worries over to God and letting Him be in control instead of trying to do everything for myself and working so hard to make things come out perfectly when I have no idea what I'm even doing. I had been thinking about relying on God in my times of need and meditating on this idea of letting Him take the reins when I am experiencing hardships and need help.

Right after I had this experience, God gave me a real life example of what I had just thought about. I met a couple from Nevada up on the hill and they were extremely confused about the Chilean dialect of Spanish and some aspects of the Chilean culture. We ended up spending three hours together just talking and they asked me so many questions about the language and all the things that confused them. After talking to them I realized that they saw me, knew I was knowledgeable about Chile, and came to me for help instead of trying to figure things out themselves and struggling. It's the same with us and God. His wisdom far exceeds ours and His ability to make things right are far greater than ours can ever be. Instead of doing things for ourselves, if we come to God for help we will have much greater success and we will have a deeper relationship with Him that is built on trust. That little lesson was just one of the many cool things I've learned while I've been here and I can't wait to see what else comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment