Thursday, February 14, 2013

Waterworks: Lessons Learned from a Stressful Day in Santiago

by Neely Baugh 

I cried. I’ll admit it. It was on a Saturday night just after we had a pipe in our bathroom burst and water begin to flood our apartment. Even after the issue was resolved (I ran down to the front desk hollering about “mucho agua!”), the stress of that event was the breaking point. That night, I came to the realization that I don’t fit entirely in to this Chilean culture. Sometimes it feels like the world we’re living in now has its own secret code—some of the streets aren't marked, maps are hard to come by, and few stores post their hours, not to mention that Chileans have their own brand of slang and manner of speaking Spanish, characterized by dropping s’s and mumbling. Everyone just knows things here, without being told. And I don’t. Even if I manage to fly under the gringa-radar with my dark hair and eyes (many Chileans also have light skin), within a minute of interacting with a local I will inevitably give myself away as someone who “ain’t from around these parts,” as we say in the south of my homeland.  

But I also learned something else that night: I don’t fit in seamlessly here, and that’s okay.  Even though there are many things about the U.S. that I’m not a fan of, growing up there will always be a part of my identity. Chileans are very rooted in pride for their nation, and it’s okay for me to be proud of my home as well. There are things I wish Chile would learn from the U.S., just as there are ideas and attitudes I hope to bring back with me from Chile.  I always say two cultures are better than one, but that includes my home culture as well. Learning to acknowledge my identity as a U.S. citizen as I remain open to learning from Chilean culture has brought me so much peace. It is one of the most important lessons I have learned so far this semester.

The next morning, Rachel C., Anna, and I visited a Catholic church for the first time that morning. Scattered on the pews were copies of the mass for that morning so we could follow along during prayers and Scripture readings. During one section of prayers, they prayed for people on vacation, people who couldn't go on vacation for some reason, and that workers with summer jobs (such as construction) will have their rights respected (they take vacation/summertime very seriously). I thought the prayers were a very thoughtful gesture. Then they prayed the final prayer of the section. A rough translation is:

“For the Christians from other places that come here during the summer. That they would find in us the joy of sharing a common faith, and an example of brotherhood that transcends any type of difference. Hear us, Father.”

The love of Christ crosses all boundaries. Culture, religious tradition, language, secret Chilean codes, all of it.
 
Yeah, I got choked up again. I’m just a crybaby, what can I say? 

No comments:

Post a Comment