Thursday, February 14, 2013

Little paws. Bigger hearts.

by Rachel Alexander 

As Anna described earlier, our group experienced a very uncomfortable, surreal, and sobering experience during our chapel in the park yesterday. After we prayed our last prayer, we saw not even a hundred feet from us, three police officers taping off the area where a homeless person had passed away. Immediately, my mind started racing with all sorts of questions:

“Did he pass away in the middle of our service?”

“How long had he been laying there with no one noticing him?”

“Could we have done anything?”

But my biggest question of all came in the form of a prayer:

“God, I know you find so much delight in us praising you in these weekly chapels we have every week. But, are we really pursuing you and loving your people, even the marginalized, outside of our gatherings each week? God, one of your sweet children could have passed away in OUR VERY MIDST. Did we miss a big opportunity to be your hands and feet? Even more, are we missing your calling, every day, even here in this foreign land of Santiago?”

As I wrestle with these questions and reflect on our chapel service, I cannot help but think about stray dogs. Odd, I know, but track with me for a second. If you have been keeping up with our blog, Rachel Craddock wrote a post about how many stray dogs wander the streets of Santiago. They are literally everywhere, even in chapel services in the park. During the middle of our chapel, two black, friendly Santiago mutts busted into our service and immediately came over to me and started whining for some loving. I began scratching the backs of their ears, patting their sides, and wishing that I could put them in my carry-on. (Don’t worry, Mom and Dad; I’m not bringing a dog home. But you know I would bring home all of them if I could.)

This is not the first encounter I have had with the dogs here in Santiago. In fact, I’ve had several, ranging from dogs approaching me for some love to one that followed Brandy, Spencer, Daniel, and I as we hiked through San Alfonso in Cajón del Maipo, herding us so we would not be separated and scaring off any other stray dogs.

With all of this being said, it is unbelievable to me how sweet, kind, gentle, and intentional the dogs are here. And with that, they are showing a love that mirrors Christ’s, which they don’t even know, better than a 20-year-old girl who has known Him her entire life.

I’m not sure if the man in the park passed away during our chapel service, but I kind of like to think God placed those dogs in my lap to give me a little joy, peace, and love before experiencing one of the most difficult moments I have had here in Santiago. God knew how much I was going to need that before I did. 
   
It’s a little bit ridiculous how much our God loves us and how creatively He shows that love. I believe in my heart of hearts that God is using Santiago’s stray dogs to constantly remind me of His loyal, unrestrictive love for me and that I need to be more proactive in sharing His love. I know I cannot stop deaths like we saw in the park yesterday, but it was a reminder that we need to constantly love on each other with big love with the time we have been given. A lot like our four-legged friends here in Santiago. 

So today, on this Valentine's Day of 2013, I challenge everyone to dig a little deeper and love a whole lot sweeter on everyone they encounter today. As Christians, we are not only God's hands and feet, but His heart as well. Let's give it some good exercise.

Sometimes, people say that study abroad programs expose people to a whole new way of living.

I think it’s to show us a whole new way to love. Thank you, sweet pups of Santiago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment