Thursday, February 21, 2013

Becoming a "History Person"

by Rachel Craddock

At the beginning of this month and the last day of our intensive Spanish classes, we had the pleasure of hearing Dr. Sergio Missana* lecture about Latin American literature. I’m going to summarize the lecture as concisely as I can because I know that while I think the information he shared is an interesting gateway into the Latin American history and culture, not everyone will find this interesting. If you do, read on! 

Dr. Missana covered several topics, but he began by telling us something that I wouldn't expect a literature scholar to tell a class (but I guess it was also something that only a literature scholar has the authority to say): literature is virtually impossible to generalize because literature is about the individual. He talked about how this individuality calls into question the process of choosing what belongs in a literary canon and what doesn't a heated controversy between many literary scholars and enthusiasts today.

He told us that Chile is called la tierra de poetas (the land of poets) and mentioned these five in particular, if you’re interested in reading some good Latin American poetry: Vicente Huidobro, Gabriela Mistral, Pablo Neruda, Nicanor Parra, and Jorge Tellier.

And then he surprised me again by saying it’s hard to explain poetry and what it does or doesn’t do. He told us Jorge Luis Borges said that people who analyze poetry are like astronomers who never look at the stars. “Life is too short for that,” Dr. Missana said. “Just enjoy it!” (So for all of you who hate analyzing poetry, there’s your out. Take it and run! But keep reading.)

Chilean literature tends to be very political and historical in nature. Dr. Missana walked us through the “waves” of Chile’s history through its literature: independence, liberalism, “cuestión social,” revolution, etc. He talked about the Latin American Boom of the 1960s and ‘70s, which was an instrumental part in the development of Latin American literature as we know it today. The hallmarks of Latin American literature, especially during the Boom period, are magical realism and historical fiction. Five authors came to be internationally recognized during the Boom: José Donoso, Julio Cortázar, Carlos Fuentes, Mario Vargas Llosa, and Gabriel García Márquez. Check ‘em out!

After 16 days of three-hour-long Spanish classes in which we read several poems and short stories, and then this lecture from Dr. Missana, I’m realizing that I’m learning more than lots of new Spanish vocabulary—I’m also learning so much about history and culture through reading Latin American literature. And I’m enjoying it! I never thought I was a “history person” until this trip; now I find myself becoming more interested in my own culture as I learn about the Latin American culture. One of the things I will come back to the United States with is a new perspective and a new interest in our history and culture, and that is a welcomed change.

*Here’s a quick bio: Dr. Missana is from Chile. He studied Journalism at the University of Chile, and then he studied at Stanford University, where he received his PhD in Spanish and Latin American Literature. Now Dr. Missana is professor of Latin American Literature for Stanford’s Overseas Study program in Santiago. He has authored five novels, several journalistic pieces, and has had his hand in scriptwriting, as well. Oh, and I can’t forget to mention that he has coauthored two children’s books with his twelve-year-old daughter. Basically, he’s awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment